Workplace Learning is an Endorsed program that provides an opportunity for students to develop the necessary skills they need for employment and an entry level understanding of how their chosen industry operates.
It is expected that students undertaking this program:
- maintain 90% attendance, a good work ethic and acceptable behaviour at the College
- commit to working the required industry hours
- defer out of school commitments during this time and NOT organise appointments
- attend each day for the required hours
- be responsible for their own transport – placement locations cannot be guaranteed in the local area
- attend additional classes on a Friday for work readiness preparation – failure to attend these classes will result in the students not being eligible for Workplace Learning
It is highly recommended that students undertaking VET qualifications engage in Workplace Learning to make their pathway more meaningful and gain relevant industry experience. Some qualifications have a compulsory workplace learning component.
Students are able to choose from a variety of industry areas (subject to host employer availability) including:
Building and Construction*
Metals & Engineering
Beauty & Hairdressing
Sport & Recreation
*Priority to students undertaking the VET qualification
Students will be offered workplace learning as a one day a week option (limited) or a block placement during the examination breaks in May/June (Semester 1) and November (Semester 2-Year 11 only). Students will complete an application form (supplied by the College) and may undergo an interview process to determine which option they are most suitable for.
Students are required to complete a detailed logbook and skills journal whilst out on the work placement to demonstrate their employability skills. On completion of these documents and 55 hours in the workplace students will be given one unit equivalent. Students can achieve up to four units over Year 11/12.
For more information regarding the Workplace Learning program please contact the VET Coordinator at Ellenbrook Secondary College on 9297 9752 or Debbie.firstname.lastname@example.org.