The Maths Active School Program enables schools to demonstrate that they actively extend students and teachers beyond the normal mathematics classroom. The scheme is recognised by the Australian Association of Mathematics Teachers and is already in operation in two other states.
Schools can apply to be recognised for one of three award “levels” – Bronze, Silver and Gold.
Ellenbrook Secondary College was only one of two schools awarded the Gold status. To achieve Gold status the mathematics department staff must fulfil the following criteria:
- Institutional or individual teacher membership to MAWA (Maths Association of Western Australia);
- Students have participated in a local mathematics talent development activity;
- Students have participated in at least one state or national mathematics activity;
- At least one teacher has attended a regional, state or national conference;
- The mathematics staff have participated in a professional learning mathematics strategy;
- Implemented a school-wide mathematics program or activity;
- At least one mathematics teacher has been involved with the organisation of a MAWA event;
- The school acted in an organisational capacity for an event that enhances mathematics education across at least three schools; and
- At least one teacher has presented a session of professional learning at a state or national level.
Deputy Principal and HoLA, Mathematics, Nathan Brown said he was proud of this achievement and his staff and students.
“The students at our college have greatly varied needs when it comes to their Mathematics educations. The Mathematics Department believes that all students can achieve success in Mathematics in a wide range of contexts and educational settings. We have worked tirelessly to achieve this by broadening the scope of Mathematics both within the regular curriculum and through external initiatives aimed at improving engagement and understanding of all our students and our staff. I am very proud of the fact that MAWA has recognised our commitment to Mathematics education at the school, community, and state level with this very special award. Our staff should be proud of the contributions they have made in achieving Math Active School Gold status and they thoroughly deserve this award.”
Congratulations to Mr Brown, the mathematics department and our students for this wonderful success.